Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Patriotism

People are uniquely shaped by their surroundings, by the way they were raised, and by the people around them in their day to day lives. It is how we react to these things as children that makes us who we are as adults. I am a believer in patriotism. I was shown for my entire childhood what it means to be devoted to your country, both of my parents were Navy sailors. I spent part of my childhood knowing that my dad would be deployed, that he would miss my birthday and maybe even Christmas but the one thing I always knew was not only did he love me, he loved his country and that was why he was gone. I was taught what it meant to be dedicated to something despite the personal pain it may cause, despite the sacrifices required. Patriotism is not only being willing to lay down and surrender your own life for your country, it is also supporting from the homefront those that really are risking their lives day in and day out so that we can "sleep in peace tonight"(Toby Keith, Chuck Cannon"American Soldier").

I am surrounded by Patriots, I married a Marine who deployed to Iraq in September of 2005 as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom. My husband was a part of a group of men(and women) who joined the military after the attacks on 9/11 because of their desire to defend our country and their belief in freedom. My husband would tell you that he joined so that his younger siblings could live a childhood free of fear, and also because he believes it is his duty as an American. My duty was to stand behind him and his "brothers" who were fighting for our rights. I sent care packages, mailed cards, baked cookies, worried, and more importantly, I prayed. I learned a lot more from a personal persepective of what it means to be a true patriot, to love ones country. I see such a passion in my husband's eyes when he talks about his experiance in the Marines, I see a passion and a love for his country. It is about more then July 4th, it is about more then remembering 9/11, it is everyday being willing to stand up and defend ones country regardless of your political or religious beliefs, it is being willing to lay down your life or your pride so that we may continue to enjoy freedom.

I belive in Patriotism.

1 comment:

Jessica Morris said...

aww - this brought tears to my eyes.
well said :)